Tattoo aftercare isn't supposed to be complicated, we have all listened to the confusing instructions recited to us by different tattoo artists from all over. They all seem to have their own spin on the winning method of caring for your new ink, well there are some basics that you really need to know;
Tattoo Aftercare: Dos and Don'ts
- Keep the tattooed area clean and dry.
- Gently wash the tattoo with mild, fragrance-free soap and lukewarm water.
- Pat the tattoo dry with a clean paper towel or let it air dry.
- Apply a thin layer of fragrance-free, hypoallergenic tattoo ointment or moisturiser to keep the skin hydrated.
- Cover the tattoo with a clean, non-stick bandage or wrap it in plastic wrap for the first 24 hours to protect it from dirt and bacteria.
- Wear loose, breathable clothing to prevent friction and irritation on the tattoo.
- Protect the tattoo from excessive sun exposure by applying a broad-spectrum, SPF 30+ sunscreen after it's fully healed.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy lifestyle to promote faster healing.
- Avoid submerging the tattoo in water, such as swimming pools, hot tubs, or baths, until it's fully healed.
- Refrain from scratching, picking, or peeling off scabs or flakes.
- Avoid exposing the tattoo to direct sunlight or tanning beds while it's healing.
- Do not apply excessive amounts of ointment or lotion, as it may suffocate the tattoo.
- Avoid tight or restrictive clothing that may rub against the tattooed area.
- Don't use harsh soaps, fragrances, or lotions that can irritate the tattooed skin.
- Avoid activities that may cause excessive sweating or dirty environments.
- Refrain from touching the tattoo with dirty hands or allowing others to touch it.